• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Starter wire locations

2traxs

Can anyone help me with connecting the wires at the starter to the correct terminals, I purchased a 2013 PT30 that had the starter already removed, the white wire with the 1/4" eyelet with the yellow circle around it is the one I don't know where it goes, I know the other white wire with the black plastic terminal cover goes on the flat terminal on the soleniod 20230711_111724.jpg

Welder Dave

Is there a bolt near by that kind of aligns with the bend and orientation of the wire? You really need a wiring diagram if it's not obvious. Does it fit on the solenoid stud? On my skid steer with a Kubota there's the big battery cable and another smaller wire on the same solenoid stud. Only 1 wire on the other (bottom) stud. Look closely at the ring connectors. You should be able to tell where a washer, nut or another ring terminal pressed against the other one. One of the wires goes to the alternator.

Last edited:

ozarkag

Not familiar with that machine, but from the picture it looks like that eyelet size would maybe fit on the bottom (motor) terminal of the start solenoid. In which case the other end of the wire would go to the fuel solenoid. [Pull coil]

Edit: On a closer look I'm looking at the solenoid sideways. The black wire going to the starter motor (short lead part of starter), needs to be on the opposite terminal/bolt from the battery cable. And the white wire most likely on with the battery cable, same stud/bolt/terminal.

2traxs

Not familiar with that machine, but from the picture it looks like that eyelet size would maybe fit on the bottom (motor) terminal of the start solenoid. In which case the other end of the wire would go to the fuel solenoid. [Pull coil]

Edit: On a closer look I'm looking at the solenoid sideways. The black wire going to the starter motor (short lead part of starter), needs to be on the opposite terminal/bolt from the battery cable. And the white wire most likely on with the battery cable, same stud/bolt/terminal.
I will try and get a better picture of the terminals on the front of the soleniod, also the white wire with the eyelet is to small to go over either of the 2 main starter bolts, maybe has a 3/16 eyelet hole, this is an after market starter so I'm not sure if the bolt terminals are the same size as the original perkins starter, thank you for your help, very appreciated

kingmt

Maybe some better pictures would change my opinion but the wire going from the starter to the solenoid needs to go to the bottom lug.
The other two wires can be tested. With the key off, are they positive, negative, or neutral? Test them again with the key on. Finally, test them with the key in the start position.
Since that solenoid is already tied into the large battery lug for its positive it will need a negative when the key is turned to start. This will go to the lug that has the terminal flying on the side.

1693664512002.png

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Some solenoid connections for the S-Terminal are a push -on type spade connector, whereas better ones are ring connectors that don't come loose. If you change supplier, sometimes the connector end changes also. Kingmt I believe is correct on his motor connection to bottom solenoid large post, with red large wire on solenoid top post. Does the square black connector go to the solenoid S-Terminal which is not visible, or has been changed to a stud needing a ringlet end on wire not a black square box as in picture.
Just wondering what someone else thinks.
Simon C

Welder Dave

It's interesting on the solenoids on my grader the OEM are spade connectors and the new ones I found for $9 are ring terminals. Both are from Parker. Curious why they would use spade connector instead of ring terminals.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I made a trip in Northern Ontario to a radio tower that the generator would not start. Tested everything only to find a loose spade connector on the S-Terminal of the starter. Ring terminals are way better especially if the unit vibrates at all. They eventually come loose.
Simon C

Welder Dave

What I noticed on the grader was the recess on the solenoids for the spade connectors gets full of dirt and leaked oil. That can't be good for the best electrical connection.