• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Scat Track mini excavator 545 hydraulic leak from slew motor/red gear/pinion shaft

Jared F

I own a scat trak 545 mini ex. with 1300 hrs on it. It sat for a year in a field and was neglected by me due to economical reasons (i had another job and no work for the machine). I performed the usual maintenance (greasing, oil/filter change, coolant change, etc) before putting it back to work. I used it for about 10 hrs of some digging and concrete removal on the first job in a year and 3/4 way through the job she started to leak hydraulic fluid from the bottom plate. Upon inspection i found that the check valve (#4 in pic2) was leaking about a cup of fluid every 5 minutes. To get the job finished (a crew of workers was waiting on my completion) i got a plug and plugged screwed it into the check valve hole (i know...i know what was i thinking?) After buttoning up the plates I cranked it up to hurriedly finish and it still leaked. This time i noticed it was leaking from the pinion gear around where the shaft meets the body, so i assume its the shaft seal or something similar. I am not sure if it was leaking prior to putting a plug in the relief/check valve but it sure leaks now about the same amount of fluid. the fluid that leaks is only barely warm. I am mechanically inclined, but by no means a mechanic and i do have a basic understanding of hydraulics. I have two questions (well more than two but lets get the basics):
1- The obvious problem of fixing the leak but more importantly:
2- What caused it in the first place?

I have yet to take the Slew track drive assembly out to inspect it because i want to figure out the cause of the leak first. I was lifting and "slewing" some heavy pieces of concrete and trying to use the bucket to break concrete and the biggest no-no was i was slewing the bucket to push dirt and concrete chunks around. I was pushing the machine to its limits. I know slewing is not the preferred method of pushing dirt. Might i have tripped the check valve then by plugging it blew out the shaft seal?:pointhead

One other thing that may have contributed to these issues was that as it sat for a year, some rats made house in the undercarriage and it was full of sticks and stuff, i mean FULL. Maybe a stick punctured the seal?
As a man of limited resources ($$$) i am trying to troubleshoot this problem myself but have no qualms with taking the slew unit and having someone rebuild it. There are two seal kits available: one is the "motor seal kit" and the other is a "seal kit" as explained by the parts manual that i have. The company that sells the parts said that the motor seal kit has to be ordered from Europe with a 35 day lead time. The other "seal kit" is $342 :eek: and the check valve (if it is stuck/broken) is $735:eek::eek:
I will attach a pic of the schematics in hopes that someone might have some advice as to where to start. Any help is appreciated. These forums are a God-send. Thanks in advance, Jared F
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Jared F

In my previous post i said i noticed leakage from the check valve and i should have said the pressure relief valve. I confused the two and erred in my terminology. The check valve never leaked,just the relief valve/fitting.

Jared F

Please help me...

Ok i realize that my first post was a bit overwhelming so i'll try and keep this simple.
I tore into the machine today and put the "pressure relief valve" back in. Started up the machine and the relief valve leaked, like it did originally (see attached pic) but the pinion gear shaft seal quit leaking. I assume since no one replied to my original post that it wasn't clear what i was asking (i'm not sure I even knew). So here's the main question i would like to ask:

What would/could cause the relief valve to leak on the slew motor/reduction gear? There are no pinched hoses that i can see. The hydraulic fluid looks a bit milky/opaque. I am at a loss as to why it was leaking and aside from the obvious fact that it is somehow being over pressured, I need some help figuring out what can cause this to happen. Again, ANY help, direction or opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• relief valve1.jpg
    relief valve1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,948

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum Jared F. :usa

That looks like an atmospheric vent for the swing reduction gear box. If you have continual leakage from that vent, you either have a failed swing motor, or a failed swing brake, that's my best guess. I will say, if it was me tearing into it, i'd pull the reduction box as well and check or replace lower bearings and lower shaft seal while I'm in there. And I think you need to flush that old white oil from your hyd system, oil probably mixed with water. :)

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
i'm with atco, i think the motor is leaking past the shaft seal, maybe lucky enough that the seal has just dried up from sitting up for a year, and has ripped on the first turn! Matbe i'm just being hopful for you! Have seen this before though!

Jared F

i'm with atco, i think the motor is leaking past the shaft seal, maybe lucky enough that the seal has just dried up from sitting up for a year, and has ripped on the first turn! Matbe i'm just being hopful for you! Have seen this before though!
The swing motor was working great. I used it for about 8 hours with no leaks. The swing shaft seal stopped leaking when i put the vent/ relief valve back in (instead of the plug i screwed in to stop the leaking vent:Banghead). ATCO may have somthing with the break though. I was noticing that it would not hold (i.e. it would slew if there was any weight on the arm when the rig was at an angle). It was as if the break wasn't holding...hmm. I was "slewing" some big, heavy pieces of concrete too. ATCO, what do you think about that?
Thanks ATCO and cps...i feel closer to the problem, and close to a solution! :notworthy

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well Jared, it's kinda hard for us to say for sure. The point is, the swing gearbox never runs overfull of oil that it pukes oil from a vent, they just don't do that. If...the gearbox vent pukes oil, it's caused by something other than gearbox. The only two suspects would be either the swing motor or swing brake. I can't say, being on this end of the internet, which one is causing your problem, I can only say the swing gearbox does not produce/generate oil that would puke out the vent of gearbox.

Jared F

Thanks ATCO...the swing break, seeing as it was not holding, might be the culprit. The swing motor was functioning as it should. Either way that narrows down the million things that were running through my head to two possible issues, both of which i believe will require the pulling of the slew motor and reduction gear (which i can do) then the servicing of said unit (which i don't think i can do). I am certain to have more questions, and am certain that you've helped quite a bit. Now to get that motor out...wheres my pliers and sledgehammer? j/k :)

Reid K

Hi Jared F
I have a scat trak 535w (wheeled excavator) that's leaking from the same breather on swing drive
what was the fix? I know it's been since 2010, hopefully your still active