• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Kubota u17-3 vs kobelco sk17sr

Xtravator

Looking at buying a mini 1.7 ton excavator for small confined space work

Looking at either a kobelco sk17sr
With 2100 hours for $33,000 aud
Or a kubota u17-3 1500 hours $30,000
Maybe a yanmar too if any good ones pop up

Never used a kobelco though, wondering if anyone had any reviews on these vs the kubota? What one has more power?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Kubota makes great mini excavators! With lower price and lower hours, your U17 is good to go.
For comparison on paper, you can google Takeuchi TB216 comparison. Most popular in the US I think are besides the Kubota, the Deere 17G, Cat 301, and Takeuchi. I have the Takeuchi TB016, which I think is a good machine. Kobelco also makes good machines, but are more popular in the bigger tonnage. Buy whatever is popular in your area, and with parts available locally. Only thing that would help change my mind a bit besides condition, is if one has a thumb, or comes with multiple nice buckets. Post some images of each.

Xtravator

Neither have thumb unfortunately

There is a kubota dealer close by too

I’ll chuck up some pics of the 2 I’m looking at

Xtravator

Haven’t looked at either yet

I would probably jump strait to the kubota but the kobelco looks in good condition, and has travel pedals , I could probably put a pedal kit on the kubota
But it is handy, also quick hitch on the kobelco, so possibly a better deal overall?

Xtravator

I’m still a bit new to all this
So this may be a dumb question

But the kobelco has a swl of 175kg
And the kubota is 140kg

Is it safe to assume that this kobelco has more power than the kubota ?

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Well both look like really nice machines. You can't go wrong with either!

My preference though is the Kubota, although I'm not so much into the orange color and have never operated either. I'm a Takeuchi guy.
Kubota Preferences:
1. Blade looks wider on the Kubota. This adds a lot of stability when lifting heavy over the front end or operating sideways with the blade down used to level you as needed.
2. If the Kubota comes on the cool little trailer, that is way cool!
3. That's great that they come with three buckets. In the US, you get only one.
4. The rear of the Kubota is nice. Better wrap around paint protection, D-ring tie down, and hydraulic motor hoses tucked away.
5. Easy world wide parts availability, and quality of construction.
6. Lower hours is good.
7. Kubota dealer may be able to install factory designed thumb.

That being said, if this was a rental check for maintenance logs and be aware that homeowners can abuse the machine.

Regarding power, both machines are going to be good. Power is often related to the operators skill and knowledge on how to best use the machine and its attachments.