• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie towable lift hydraulics question...

Dougster

If it refuses to stay level during use, I'd be real apprehensive working in that platform. I'm not real familiar with that machine, do you work switches to operate outriggers, or is it self leveling?
Mine is not self-leveling. Sure wish that it were. Live and learn. I am envious as Hell every time I see one of the self-leveling versions. It really is the only way to fly.

The way that the manual outriggers and interlock switches work, you must not only lock the outriggers down and level the machine (using the 4 leveling jacks), but you must also have each outrigger taking up a certain amount of load before the interlocks will allow the lift to work. In other words, just having outriggers locked in the down position and the machine level is not enough. The load on each outrigger arm must also be correct. This probably isn't difficult to achieve on a flat, hard, level surface such as a paved parking lot... but try to do it in very limited space in an uneven sandy or grassy yard and it takes some time, skill and great patience.

The real problems start when you begin to operate the machine. Even if you have managed to get the machine level and were able to apply the correct amount of load to each of the 4 outrigger arms... once you start to move the booms and (especially) swing the turntable around, the 4 outrigger arm loads start to shift. As the outrigger arm loads shift, the outrigger arms themselves will move slightly (pivot up or down at the base depending on the load shift). The interlock alarm will go off on either: a) An out-of-level condition, or b) Insufficient load on one or more outriggers. Once the alarm is going off, the machine stops working except for the down functions.

Reset and try again... and again... and again... until you quit for the day.

Dougster

Dougster

An update...

Updating my last posts #19 and #21... here it is 3 weeks later and I have learned a whole lot more about using this "used & abused" ex-rental towable boom lift in the last 3 weeks than in the preceding 3 months. Not all the news is good, but we finally have a reasonably safe, workable machine that is finally earning its keep. I would still advise anyone considering such a used boom lift to buy the self-leveling version... but I can now say that the manual leveling version can be made to work with enough smarts, experience, patience... and, ideally, a second person to help out.

First off, the new, taller outrigger jacks I had made are wonderful compared to the old (original) ones. The brand new bearings in there make adjustments a dream and I have more height adjustability than I had before. The downside is some added weight and the need to turn the taller jacks parallel to the trailer axis for transport. Also, I must be careful when doing below level lower boom work as the lower boom can now hit the tops of the taller jacks.

Second, I added trailer frame level indicators to make it easier getting an initial read on levelness when positioning. Third, I added a second boat-type swing-away trailer jack to the tongue... a trick that I first saw at a local rental place (one with wheels for use on dead level ground, one flat bottom for use on non-level ground).

Another thing I did was to equip my tractor with a 3-point (up and down moving) tow hitch (rather than just using the tractor's stationary height tow hitch). That not only makes it faster to move the lift around... but it also makes it easier to initially set up the front and rear outriggers and jacks, especially on uneven ground.

But the best thing of all is having a second person to help. The loading & leveling accuracy increase and time savings is 10-fold. What was taking me up to an hour to get right by myself (i.e., positioning, outriggers down, jacks set, perfectly leveled, perfectly loaded) is now taking 5 to 10 minutes. Amazing how that works!

On the downside, it does seem that the turntable bearings are probably worn. No surprise, really... but probably a super-expensive repair (more than what I paid for this lift if I want it done by the local dealer). For now, it just means that we need to keep checking regularly for levelness & loading in all turntable positions and adjust the jacks accordingly, if necessary. Not nearly as big a deal as it sounds, but best handled by a 2-person team for maximum safety.

Excessive corrosion on one small-but-key structural steel fabricated piece is giving me fits. I am watching it daily but the piece is too expensive to replace and too complex for me to repair properly myself. I think it will last through this fall okay. I'll remove it and have it repaired this winter... or, ideally, I'll have a replacement piece fabricated by one of the local shops. It has got to cost much, much less than what Genie wants me to pay for a new one.

Lastly, we did find that the outrigger load/position switch guides, all 8 of them, probably should be replaced. These are semi-stiff/semi-flexible, non-metallic parts that are starting to bend out after all these years. Sloppy repainting of the machine appears to have contributed to the issue. When the guides bend out and don't engage the outrigger locking pins correctly, the attached load/position switches give false readings. This is a real nuisance if you miss one or two during initial set-up. Replacement cost for all 8 is just $186.64. I think I will probably go for it next spring.

Dougster

Last edited:

ralpie79

The rest of the story...

Got the new solenoid valve from Genie only to find out that it had a different size requirement for the coil... so back to my local dealer for a new coil. Fortunately for me, they had one in stock. All said and done, $156.08 and a week later, the jib boom is working fine again.

The new valve had plenty of markings with which to identify it. It is a Hydac solenoid valve with a Hydac coil. Model number was stamped right on it. I have a fairly local Hydac distributor, although they don't stock these particular parts. But next time, I will go direct for sure. It should be faster to get the parts and cheaper by almost half.

Wish that were the last of my expensive issues with this machine, but no such luck. This 14-year old "used and abused" ex-rental machine is going to be a work in progress for a long time to come. For now, I am hoping that I can get the machine marginally usable within another week or so. For now, I will just have to deal with the turntable problems. The much bigger problem now is leveling and stability. It's an old, tired, worn out machine with just an awful lot of wear and tear and corrosion and breakage in just about every area. Even with all new leveling jacks, the machine refuses to stay level in normal use... an indication that something is worn out or badly overstressed within the outrigger assemblies.

Dougster
Hi Dougster,

I know this is quite old, but do you happen to know which Hydac solenoid and coil you managed to track down. Got the same machine with manual outriggers and trying to see if i can replace solenoids with new for all cylinders. I've noticed the service manual and parts list have either 20v or 24v listed. It is a bit confusing.