• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 320C burst hose and fire

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
The inner structure breaks first and then the shell cracks. You see on this boom where someone thought they fixed it, but it just keeps cracking. Cat has a procedure for repair. There are numerous threads on the HEF in regards. Something to watch for like Nige says.

IMG_0182.jpeg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The problem is that everyone tries to repairs cracks only working from the outside. When a structure is, as Coaldust says, cracked on the inside then repairing only the visible cracks is no solution. You have to cut holes in the structure and get inside and fix the root cause of the failure.

jook24

Mine was welded like this when I bought it I'm thinking it had a hammer on it as it has extra piping up front.i mounted my fire extinguisher behind the cab I bought a big one only place I could fit it I do have cat walks on the side.IMG_20240512_071825.jpg

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Glad you are back in operation again.
This insurance job I did last year on a 320 crispy critter wasn’t so easy.

View attachment 312042
Well over 10 years back I helped a bit with a rebuild on a ZX850 Hitachi. Everything from the rotec up was burnt. Only the undercarriage, main frame and boom/stick were reused. Entire machine was rebuilt from the rotec up. Massive job, I think I have pictures of it somewhere.