• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best 1 inch impact made???????

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Ingersol Rand model 2155 QiMAX. 1" impact.
My 1/2" has been used almost daily for well over 20 years and still performs flawless.
Be sure to feed it the correct volume of air.

nowing75

Thought I might revive this thread. I have a 2850max gun only a year old and could not brake loose a 24mm bolt. Borrowed an older cat(not sure who makes it for them) and had no problem braking them loose. Does anyone know who makes them for cat. His is 6 or 7 years old.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm really liking Aircat. I've only bought their 1/2" gun so far and that thing kicks the **** of any IR, CP or Mac impact I've ever owned.

Looks like they make a 1" gun as well. Too big for me but I'm considering buying one of their 3/4" ones to replace my old Matco that quit working.

ahart

I use an IR 3940 inline for my 1” gun, 150 psi air on a 1/2” line and it’s walked on more than one CP 796. They’re far from the cheapest but ive yet to see a better/more reliable 1” drive. I’ve had mine in use since 2014 and it’s never been rebuilt.

Mobilewrench

I use an IR 3940 inline for my 1” gun, 150 psi air on a 1/2” line and it’s walked on more than one CP 796. They’re far from the cheapest but ive yet to see a better/more reliable 1” drive. I’ve had mine in use since 2014 and it’s never been rebuilt.
That's pretty good.
I feel the other way though. I have a few one inch guns and have retired some more. The cp 796 are the two best I have ever had. I have two because I like them that much and wanted to have one on my second service truck. One is from 2005 and the other from 2013.

Have tried it twice against the 3490. Once at a local hydraulic shop and once at one of the local dealerships and mine prevailed with the same air supply.

I also like the shape a little better. Iirc, the ir gun is a bit longer.

I do not feel the same way about the CP 3/4 inch guns I have had, but I don't think I will ever buy another 1/2" gun that isn't CP.

Not to hijack the thread but I would like to upgrade my 3/4" gun and wonder what you all would recommend.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm really liking Aircat. I've only bought their 1/2" gun so far and that thing kicks the **** of any IR, CP or Mac impact I've ever owned.

Looks like they make a 1" gun as well. Too big for me but I'm considering buying one of their 3/4" ones to replace my old Matco that quit working.

Not trying to change the subject matter, but just throw another wrench in the spokes, I've been using this Aircat 90 degree die grinder for some time now and hot damn do I love this tool. Plenty of HP for a cutoff wheel. A little bulky in size for tight spaces but so far that hasn't been an issue. The best part, it has a spindle lock button, don't need two wrenches to change tools, only need a 3/4" wrench on the collet nut instead of those two cheesy a$$ flat wrench tools. I strongly recommend. > https://aircat.com/products/abrasiv...5-hp-angle-die-grinder-with-spindle-lock.html

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Not trying to change the subject matter, but just throw another wrench in the spokes, I've been using this Aircat 90 degree die grinder for some time now and hot damn do I love this tool. Plenty of HP for a cutoff wheel. A little bulky in size for tight spaces but so far that hasn't been an issue. The best part, it has a spindle lock button, don't need two wrenches to change tools, only need a 3/4" wrench on the collet nut instead of those two cheesy a$$ flat wrench tools. I strongly recommend. > https://aircat.com/products/abrasiv...5-hp-angle-die-grinder-with-spindle-lock.html

I might have to look into that. I need a new air hammer as well, wonder if they make one?

I priced out a new Aircat 3/8" impact and a new Mac 3/8". Same 700 ft-lb rating and the Aircat was almost 1/2 the price.......

I hate to say it but the big tool companies are going to price themselves out of business if they keep it up. Lots of other brands out there that are just as good for a lot less.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
That's pretty good.
I feel the other way though. I have a few one inch guns and have retired some more. The cp 796 are the two best I have ever had. I have two because I like them that much and wanted to have one on my second service truck. One is from 2005 and the other from 2013.

Have tried it twice against the 3490. Once at a local hydraulic shop and once at one of the local dealerships and mine prevailed with the same air supply.

I also like the shape a little better. Iirc, the ir gun is a bit longer.

I do not feel the same way about the CP 3/4 inch guns I have had, but I don't think I will ever buy another 1/2" gun that isn't CP.

Not to hijack the thread but I would like to upgrade my 3/4" gun and wonder what you all would recommend.
Jpaydirt on YouTube has been testing different guns,interesting

ahart

@Mobilewrench my 3/4 drive is an IR 2161XP I bought it lightly used off eBay 11 years ago, no rebuilds since, only a broken hammer cage. It replaced a 261 and there’s no comparison.
As far as the 796 vs 3940 conversation goes, my 796 was a habitual anvil breaker and I finally got tired of it.