• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Berkeley 8x6 Spline Sheared off.

oceandredge

Hello,

My bearings went bad on my 8x6 berkeley and eventually the pump wore through the brass plate on the outer housing of the pump 8" discharge and ate through the impeller. It was a slow death and I knew it was coming. The only thing keeping the impeller centered was the flax packing which needed to be replaced weekley.

I found a used Berkeley 8x6 pump with a 13.5" impeller which has been turned down to 12.5 inches. I'm running a 137hp Perkins diesel sae #3 bell. I purchased the pump used after my original 8x6 had the catastrophic failure.

I don't have $9600 for a new pump, but this low hours used Berkeley I purchased for $2,000. The impeller was rusted on the inside to the half inch sleeve that extends off the engine side of the pump. I used a 12" metal Sawzall blade and cut the 1/2" flange leaving it rusted to the backside of the impeller. The impeller spins freely now and the bearings were well greased when I took the shaft side cover off.

My issue now is... Besides the impeller being rusted to the pump (now fixed), I also have the splined shaft sheared off 2" of the 4" of teeth that engage with the flywheel.

I know the proper thing to do is to get a new splined shaft $1k, and new bearings but are their any work arounds utilizing the 2" of splined shaft that remain undamaged? The brass wear plate has zero wear and I believe the pump has only 100 hours on it. The area it was stored was flooded, hence the rust inside the pump.

I was thinking I could fabricate a 1.75" spacer to put behind the flywheel to push the female splines out further to engage with the remaining male splines on the pump? I understand this would need precision and to be balanced/centered.

I was also thinking maybe I could throughbolt a female splined extension onto the flywheel to engage the remaining good portion of the pump shaft? Originally I thought about welding 2 more inches of spline onto the flywheel, but it's got 2 inches of vulcanized rubber that would not do great with that much heat.

Does Hayes sell a flywheel that would extend out further to solve my issue with a simple bolt up solution?

I would rather spend $1k on a Hayes solution then trying to get the impeller off the shaft and buy a new shaft and bearing set.

Thanks a lot

Oceandredger from Nome AK.

Delmer

I thought everything sounded just about right until I saw you're dredging in Nome. Not sure I'd want to mess around that much in those conditions, but I suppose you do what you gotta do.

I like a spacer between the flywheel and female splines, but would need a picture of how the flywheel attaches to the female splines. Not sure if that's possible.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF, Oceandredge. Your description is well written, but some pictures of this project would be helpful.

Watching you guys get your rigs ready for the season, on the frozen beach, gives me the shivers. Keep your toes warm. I’ll be heading to Norton Sound when the ice starts moving.

oceandredge

1000003367.jpg

Attachments

• 20240315_151308_copy_600x800.jpg
    20240315_151308_copy_600x800.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240315_155831_copy_600x800.jpg
    20240315_155831_copy_600x800.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13

oceandredge

I figured out a couple things.

1.) The person I bought this pump from was using a 1 inch bell housing adapter. When I put a level on my bell housing the flywheel coupler with the vulcanized rubber I had 1/2" gap from bell housing face to the face of the flywheel coupler female spline.

2.) When I took the flywheel coupler off and took it to the shop and fitted it to the used pump with the sheared off spline with the proper 1/2" gap accounted for it went past the sheared off spline and got a full bite on the remaining male spline.

3.) I would like to fabricate a 3/8" donut spacer to bolt between the flywheel coupler and the flywheel to get the full bite plus 3/8" to cone within 1/8" of bottoming out on the male spline shaft on the pump, but...

4.) When I fitted the flywheel coupler fenale spline to the used pump male shaft spline there was a little slop. Maybe just shy of 1/16" which I think is too much play.

5.) I think I'm going to order a new flywheel coupler with the extra offset from Hayes or see if they can sell me a spacer to get maximum bite on the remaining teeth.

6.) I do hear a little bit of bearing noise when I spin the impeller, but thier is no wiggle and visually I can't see anything wrong with the bearings or cage. I think it's just a bit of pitting... fingers crossed, hoping to not have to try to pull the shift since I'm guessing the impeller is rusted to the shift pretty good.

oceandredge

Behind the impeller is the ring I had to cut with a one foot metal Sawzall blade. Once cut the impeller spun freely. The ring is forever welded to the impeller with rust.

Attachments

• 20240315_134044_copy_800x600_1.jpg
    20240315_134044_copy_800x600_1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 6

oceandredge

Thanks for the reply coaldust and delmer. Doing some ice diving in negative 20 this week through 7 feet of ice.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Thanks for the reply coaldust and delmer. Doing some ice diving in negative 20 this week through 7 feet of ice.
OMG. you Bering Sea gold divers are nuts. $2,156@ ounce, I can totally understand.

BTW, Grab a couple king crabs, while you are on the bottom.

oceandredge

Over the years I've managed to grab 5 king crab by hand, so far only a small female with eggs spotted this year. Ice will start to get soggy with above freezing Temps next week so our ice season is coming to a close.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Looks like there's no vibration damper coupling which will cause the shaft failure. Diesel powered pumps require this, gas powered not so much. Did American Turbine acquire all of Berkeley's products or just the marine jets?

oceandredge

Looks like there's no vibration damper coupling which will cause the shaft failure. Diesel powered pumps require this, gas powered not so much. Did American Turbine acquire all of Berkeley's products or just the marine jets?
I'm not sure about the acquisition, but here is the flywheel coupler. This is the part that has play and will be replaced.

Attachments

• 20240315_140031_copy_800x600.jpg
    20240315_140031_copy_800x600.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 7