• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

304.5 cat excavator

Allan Neels

I'm looking for the 2 speed line from the final drive motor to the swivel
There are 2 small lines need to identify witch line is the 2 speed line
The 304.5 serial number is #WAK00722 The bottom small line connections on the swivel are the return lines and the top small lines are the 2 speed connections.
I replaced the drive motor and double checked the lines by not connecting the 2 small lines to the drive motor and running the machine then pressing on the 2 speed button the line that pumped out oil was the 2 speed line. I connected the 2 speed line to the middle of the drive port and the small return line to the very top port on the drive motor. Everything is working now the new drive has been replaced.

I do have another issue the reverse on one side of the machine is very slow, forward works great but reverse is very slow on one side. I was hoping that when I replacing the drive motor that the slow reverse issue be would corrected.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I do have another issue the reverse on one side of the machine is very slow, forward works great but reverse is very slow on one side. I was hoping that when I replacing the drive motor that the slow reverse issue be would corrected.
Can you please clarify. Did you replace the motor on the side that was previously slow in reverse and it has made no difference.?

Nige

I replaced the motor and drive as one unit and the slow reverse problem is still there
In that case the swivel is the obvious suspect. It may be that the seals on the section that carries the “feed” oil flow to the travel motor when you are in reverse are leaking. When the machine travels in the forward direction that line only carries return oil flow from the motor and so has no real effect on motor performance even if it is leaking internally.

Nige

Can the swivel be repaired in the machine or are rebuild swivels available
On a machine as small as yours access will be the biggest problem. A swivel is easy enough to rebuild but it will have to be removed from the machine and got onto a bench in order to disassemble/reassemble. When I get chance I'll post up a parts list plus the instructions.

Not sure about rebuilt swivels being available but even if they were the price would be astonomical compared to the cost of a set of seals.

Last edited:

Allan Neels

Thank you very much foe the information you have been very helpful. Your information has sent me in the right direction to correct the problem. I will keep you posted on the results. the machine will be in use for for a bit. I will be ordering the parts and review the repair instructions.